Hooray –The Marriage Amendment Is Going To Pass!!
Check out the most recent Survey USA poll showing the amendment expected to pass by an overwhelming margin. So with that in mind I thought I’d suggest some of the benefits that will now accrue to the Old Dominion on the verge of it’s 400th year celebration.
What are the possible long-term implications to the State of Virginia?
• Some elderly gays may not get survivor benefits
• Some people or property may be injured in hate crimes, as fringe groups misconstrue this as permission
• Some hospital visitation may be more difficult
• Some estate fights may result in decisions against a life long same sex spouse
• This may signal permission for increased pressure for the religious right's social agendas
• Some gays may leave the state and break their ties to family and community
• Some businesses may leave and some may not arrive
• Some children may not get adopted or ever know loving parents
• Some negative effect on statistics on gay health may happen such as suicide, increase in STD’s, as gays feel pushed more into the closet and less towards monogamous relationships
• Some gay partners will be excluded from health care or other benefits – particularly those associated with public sector jobs
• Lawyers may benefit over an increase in lawsuits and an increase in contract preparation fees, in an attempt to legally afford gay couples the benefits and protections of marriage, which coincidentally and hypocritically the change in the Bill of Rights will now say explicitly is prohibited.
Now of course this is just a lot of what-ifing, and Virginia will look the same on November 8th that it looked like on November 6th.
But, I’m, curious, and I ask the religious right advocates of this amendment, after you quit gloating, tell me – what exactly have you won? Will this make you more popular in Heaven? Will God give a special medal for your achievement? How will your life and the lives of average Virginians be better off in such a way that this amendment was required in the public common good? Give me your list of the expected or even possible benefits that this will have achieved for Virginia?
Other than energizing authoritatively controlled conservatives to lock step to the polls to vote for George Allen.
p.s. – I don’t mean to discourage the courageous opponents of this amendment – I do hope though that this is a wake up call that you better have a better strategy for the next eight weeks than you’ve had to date.