The Advantages of Marriage in Virginia

The following are the rights that are conferred on a married couple in Virginia:

>> Accidental death benefit for the surviving spouse of a government employee
>> Appointment as guardian of a minor
>> Award of child custody in divorce proceedings
>> Beneficial owner status of corporate securities
>> Bill of Rights benefits for victims and witnesses
>> Burial of service member's dependents
>> Certificates of occupation
>> Consent to post-mortem examination
>> Continuation of rights under existing homestead leases
>> Control, division, acquisition, and disposition of community property,
>> Criminal injuries compensation
>> Death benefit for surviving spouse for government employee
>> Disclosure of vital statistics records
>> Division of property after dissolution of marriage
>> Eligibility for housing opportunity allowance program of the Housing, Finance and Development Corporation
>> Exemption from claims of Department of Human Services for social services payments, financial assistance, or burial payments
>> Exemption from conveyance tax
>> Exemption from regulation of condominium sales to owner-occupants
>> Funeral leave for government employees
>> Homes of totally disable veterans exempt from property taxes
>> Income tax deductions, credits, rates exemption, and estimates
>> Inheritance of land patents
>> Insurance licenses, coverage, eligibility, and benefits organization of mutual benefits society
>> Legal status with partner’s children
>> Making, revoking, and objecting to anatomical gifts
>> Making partner medical decisions
>> Nonresident tuition deferential waiver
>> Notice of guardian ad litem proceedings
>> Notice of probate proceedings
>> Payment of wages to a relative of deceased employee
>> Payment of worker's compensation benefits after death
>> Permission to make arrangements for burial or cremation
>> Proof of business partnership
>> Public assistance from the Department of Human Services
>> Qualification at a facility for the elderly
>> Real property exemption from attachment or execution
>> Right of survivorship to custodial trust
>> Right to be notified of parole or escape of inmate
>> Right to change names
>> Right to enter into pre-marital agreement
>> Right to file action for nonsupport
>> Right to inherit property
>> Right to purchase leases and cash freehold agreements concerning the management and disposition of public land
>> Right to sue for tort and death by wrongful act
>> Right to support after divorce
>> Right to support from spouse
>> Rights and proceedings for involuntary hospitalization and treatment
>> Rights by way of dour or courtesy
>> Rights to notice, protection, benefits, and inheritance under the uniform probate code
>> Sole interest in property
>> Spousal privilege and confidential marriage communications (for example, not testifying against your spouse in court)
>> Spousal immigration benefits
>> Status of children
>> Support payments in divorce action
>> Tax relief for natural disaster losses
>> Vacation allowance on termination of public employment by death
>> Veterans' preference to spouse in public employment
>> In vitro fertilization coverage
>> Waiver of fees for certified copies and searches of vital statistics.

And these are the rights that are conferred on an unmarried couple in Virginia:

>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>

- and voting YES on the marriage amendment will insure that neither heterosexual unmarried couples or homosexual couples will ever get any rights in Virginia -- and voting YES will also express your intolerance and disregard for the diversity and inclusiveness and equality of our state.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So you agree there are no current benefits granted to unmarried individuals... and thus none will be lost as the Commonwealth Coalition's disinformation campaign claims will happen once the Marriage Amendment passes?
Mark said…
The ACLU and the "Commonwealth Coalition" have refused to debate the actual issue, same-sex marriage. They have hidden behind their lie of unintended consequences because they are afraid to talk about same-sex marriage or polygamy or how they actually want to define marriage. We have challenged them in debate after debate, through the media, and through an actual fax request. Unfortunately, they have refused to answer the question.


Perhaps it is because they know Virginians will overwhelmingly reject their fluid definition of marriage. In fact, on the www.beyondmarriage.org web site, opponents of amendments like ours in Virginia say they support "Legal recognition for a wide range of relationships, households and families - regardless of kinship or conjugal status." My guess is you won't see that on our opponents campaign signs or in their advertisements. But that is exactly what they want.
Bill Garnett said…
anonymous - what may be lost is the opportunity for a more educated and tolerant citizenry to change these onerous and mean spirited laws via legislation, as constitutional repeal by a minority is unlikely in a generation. It is bigotry legislation of the worse kind – and contrary to Jeffersonian democracy.

and Mark, you seem so contained in some sort of pathological hatred and messianic crusading that you are unwilling to discuss anything in factual or rational terms. Keep your fanatical religion to yourself. You are representative of the worse aspects of distorted Christianity. And your insipid attacks have grown tiresome.
Platypus Rex said…
Bill, Mark's picture says it all.
Mark said…
attacks ??

You mean when I disagree with you with facts. sad Bill, very sad.

rex,
Your words say it all. You got nothing! and your proud of it. Good boy. Your wife does a better job defending her postions than you, perhaps you should go consult her before replying.
Platypus Rex said…
you didn't even respond to most of my post, so as far as I'm concerned, you haven't even attacked my position yet.

1. This is a VA debate, so has nothing to do with a US Constitutional debate, but if you'd like to look into the VA constitution and laws let's try this one.

"Be it enacted by the General Assembly, That no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief; but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinion in matters of religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish enlarge, or affect their civil capacities."

-Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom

2. And exactly where was is that Jesus told us not to have same sex marriages, or even mention homosexuality?

There is a passage in Leviticus condeming homosexuality, and in Romans, by Paul. But never did Jesus speak out about it.

3. Why in this commonwealth are murderers, rapists and child molesters disallowed to vote or sit on a jury, but are still allowed to marry, but we do not allow a portion of the productive, law abiding citizenry a chance at the same life?

4. Should we next have a law forcing women to submit to their husbands? Should we not allow them to divorce their husbands? Should we as in Lev 19:19, not wear clothes of two different materials? Or perhaps we should give up shellfish as in Lev 11:10? Where do we draw the line as far as what rules to follow and what rules are "out of date" and simply throw out because they don't fit in with our contemporary lifestyles?

So, what of the other scriptures that have been left out of the Bible? Seeing as how the Bible was compiled some 300 years after the death of Christ (and any other possible witnesses) how can you be sure that all of these words are true? If the works of Paul are removed, you could still say that Jesus says "these are the words of God". The fact that the Bible was compiled by a group of men, that there are different versions, depending on what region of the world you go to, that means that only the written words of Christ can be taken as gospel. He never mentions homosexuality, but when was the last time you burnt the scrolls of the witches?

Once again, we're not discussing A U.S. congressional debate, but, the state (of VA) is interfering with the rights of gay and lesbian couples by not allowing their unions to be recognized. There was a time when the public schools in VA were closed because they were going to be integrated, and that is still a black mark on our history. Until all people are treated equally, we cannot hope to have any harmony between us.
Platypus Rex said…
I thought most Christians at some point had realized that the "turn or burn", Bible banging method of witnessing to the infidels wasn't very effective.
Mark said…
rex,
correct me if i am wrong, You do not believe in God, and you speak out against, any belief in God?

We live in a Republic, I will vote my conscience, and I will vote against any provision that embraces, celebrates homosexuality. Why I vote that way, is irrelevant. You refernces to Lev and Jesus Himself never mentioning homosexuality has been addressed so may times I'd think you would come up with something better. You do after all, probably know thw Bible better than 'most' christians. That sadly, may very well be true. Just not this Christian.


the state (of VA) is interfering with the rights of gay and lesbian couples by not allowing their unions to be recognized.

The state of VA also sets a variety of limits on marrigage, ie. age, the number of parties, etc..Rex. Nothing new. You also make the huge assumption that being 'gay' is an inborn trait like the color of one's skin and thereby deserves like minded laws of protection. I do not. Are the attractions very real, Yes!

Why in this commonwealth are murderers, rapists and child molesters disallowed to vote or sit on a jury, but are still allowed to marry,

Because they are felons. Because there is no law prohibiting them from getting married. Personally, no child molestor would walk the streets again if up to me. Good question nonetheless.

If you want to have a Biblical discussion on Queer theology read the article I posted on it and comment.

I thought most Christians at some point had realized that the "turn or burn", Bible banging method of witnessing to the infidels wasn't very effective.

Let me say this to you Rex. It is God's perfect Law, that prepares the heart for His grace. God's law is eternal. He didn't just deciede one day after He made man, what laws to give us or make up.

No man can be saved from eternal death, until his heart has been convicted by God's law and he comes to the cross of Christ for forgiveness and restoration. Not to tell or warn others of that, would be like watching you burn holding a fire hose. I pray one day you will understand that.

Popular posts from this blog

A Fun Test - Are You Liberal Or Conservative?

I Am Ashamed That Eric Cantor Is My Congressman

How Would Jesus Vote On the Virginia Marriage Amendment?